Skip to main content

Thing 1 & 2 - Introduction

Hi all, this is my first ever blog post and it's quite exciting! I came across this really cool course on Twitter called 23 Things for Digital Knowledge by University of Edinburgh and just had to check it out. What makes it even better is that its absolutely free! So here I am writing my first post to cover the task in Thing 2 and share my thoughts with you all. 

What do you hope to gain out of the 23 Things programme?
I hope to gain new skills as well as expand my current skill set and knowledge on a range of digital tools. I hope to be able to explore a new Thing and integrate it into my daily routine, which by writing this post the learning has already begun!

Were you aware of the University’s Social Media Guidelines for Staff and Researchers or the student Social Media Student Handbook? What do you think of the guidelines?
I am not a member of the University, however, as a staff member in a College the same sort of rules apply in terms of the Social Media policy. Yes I am aware of the policy put in place as when creating content I may need to refer to it. I think it is good to have these types of policy's in place to protect the organisations reputation as it will inform staff and students of what is appropriate to post and what's not.

I can't wait to share my thoughts and experiences with you all as I take my journey through this course. Blogging isn't actually as bad as I thought! Check back soon for new posts! 👀

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 8 - Facebook

It's been a while since I have posted and thought I had better get the 23Things blog finished! I have had Facebook for many years now and am aware of the privacy settings. I used it a lot however over the years I have stopped posting and using it as much and recently deactivated my account. The cool kids these days say Facebook is for old people....In better terms, there are other platforms more entertaining than Facebook that they use. I was part of many groups on Facebook however I've never thought about having a private group for family members. Maybe this would get me posting again if I return to using the platform! In recent years, I've noticed Facebook has incorporated levels of sharing which allows you to share content with certain people included within lists such as close friends, friends and acquaintances. I think this is a great feature and it has since been integrated into Instagram!  

Thing 7 - Twitter

Todays 'thing' focuses on Twitter. I love using Twitter! I use it every day for work. However, I didn't know you could create lists of specific Twitter users so I had a look... This is a very useful feature for my Twitter account as it meant I could categorise users into two lists. One for work users and one for personal users. As I mostly use Twitter for work, most of my feed is work-related posts. By categorising the users it enables me to choose a list for the means that I am browsing.  Management tools such as TweetDeck and Hootsuite are very beneficial when you are running several Social Media platforms. I have been a user of TweetDeck for a couple of years. I use it to schedule specific posts for certain dates and times. I am recently a new user of Hootsuite and wow it makes my job a whole lot easier! It provides the functionality to view several communication channel streams which you can post directly to, all in the one place! Multiple streams can be added whic

Thing 9 - Video conferencing tools

This blog post will take a look at my experiences using  video chat and conferencing platforms and tools. To video chat I have multiple platforms which I like to use for specific means of communication. For example while teaching online with my students I prefer to use Zoom as the students have said they find it easier to access and use than other platforms used within the College. The main video conferencing tool within my institution is  Microsoft Teams which I use on a daily basis to communicate with my colleagues and provide training sessions.  If I am talking to friends and family I would mostly use the Facebook Messenger video facility (luckily you can keep this feature if you have deactivated your Facebook account!). As a student I have used BigBlueButton and Blackboard Ultra to join online classes. I find BigBlueButton to be slow and have connection issues in comparison to the other platforms available.